In the cramped space of a college dorm room, students need appliances and electronics that provide the most functionality and
take up the least amount of room. That may mean choosing a mini refrigerator or a compact microwave. What about an iron? Irons use a lot of electricity, their very hot to the touch, and you need an ironing board to do a good job of removing wrinkles. There must be something better! Have you consider sending your student with a back to college clothes steamer?
Need a compact refrigerator and microwave to take back to college? Be sure and see our articles Back To College Appliances: Best Appliance Combo 2014 and Mini Microwave: Top 5 Back-To-College Microwaves. Also don’t buy without seeing our table of college and university microwave and refrigerator policies Back To College Residence Microwave-Refrigerator Policies.
The right portable clothes steamer has it all over the steam iron. Travel garment steamers are faster, more portable, and less accident-prone than irons and they don’t require an ironing board to remove wrinkles.
They’re lightweight, heat up fast, and take up minimal space in your student’s already crowded room. They are also a great value because they last for years, are very durable, and use the power of steam to get out wrinkles.
So if you’re considering sending your student to school with an iron, maybe you should take a look at a back to college clothes steamer instead. We took a look at the best travel steamers we could find and picked a few that we think are worthy of your consideration. Read on to see if one of these clothing steamers is the best choice for your student.
Back To College Clothes Steamer
First of all, there are a lot of models of fabric steamers in a wide variety of styles from many different manufacturers. A lot of them are similar in construction and design, but only a few give you the quality and power to take out tough wrinkles even in denim. Those are the models we looked at and are presenting to you. Take a look at these tough, durable, powerful handheld garment steamers.
#3 – Steamfast SF-435 Compact Fabric Travel Steamer
Compact and ideal for travel, the Steamfast SF-435 Compact Fabric Steamer quickly and easily steams away wrinkles. Save yourself from trying to find an iron and ironing board when you get to your destination – just run tap water into the easy-to-fill reservoir and you’re ready to go. Freshen up your blouses, shirts and other garments with strong, steady steam.
- Powerful 800-watt fabric steamer
- Big 7-ounce water capacity provides up to 12 minutes of continuous steam
- More effective and gentler on fabrics than ironing for all-natural garment care
- Removes wrinkles and odors from clothes; linens; curtains; upholstery and more
- Includes a fabric brush; lint remover and rubber accessory housing
- Compact and lightweight makes it ideal for college use
- Easy and quick to use
- Perfect size and performance for college
- Great value
- Quicker than ironing
- Water leaks if you tip it to one side
- Needs on/off button
- Can spit water
- Doesn’t hold much water
#2 – Salav TS-01 Handheld Garment Steamer
The SALAV TS-01 Travel Handheld Steamer provides powerful steam on the go. Compact, easy to fill and use, the TS-01 provides up to 10 minutes of steam and heats up in a quick 150 seconds. 265 watts of powerful, continuous steam softens and straightens wrinkles on clothing, drapes, upholstery and more. The automatic voltage adjustment feature will adapt to any country’s required voltage making the Salav TS-01 your ultimate travel accessory. It has many great features for your student.
- 265 watts gives the TS-01 a fast time to steam of only 150 seconds and a powerful continuous steam flow that gets tough wrinkles out of clothing and fabrics
- Medium-sized 2 oz. (60 ml) water capacity provides over 10 minutes of continuous steam
- Compact, lightweight, and stylish, the perfect college companion
- Automatic voltage adjustment feature fit for world travel
- Unique safe design prevents water leakage
- Clear front water tank indicates when water is low
- 2-in-1 handle and measuring cup
- Long 6.5 ft. power cord length
- Automatic voltage adjustment: Volts / Hertz:: 100V-240V / 50-60 Hz
- At only about 8 inches tall and just over 1 lb., the TS-01 fits just about anywhere
- Cute looks
- Perfect dorm size
- Great value
- Quick time to steam
- Doesn’t hold much water
- Picks up surface lint from clothes
- No storage case
- Only lasts about 10 minutes per fill
#1 – ESTEAM® Personal Hand Held Steamer
Because students where more denim than almost anything else at college, they need a garment steamer that can remove wrinkles even in tough fabrics like denim. The ESTEAM Personal Handheld Steamer is the most powerful steamer in the world capable of getting wrinkles out of tough fabrics. It’s simple to operate, has a large water reservoir and keeps steaming for up to 15 minutes per fill. If your student is really serious about removing wrinkles quickly without the need for an iron and ironing board, then the ESTEAM is the best option on the market. Here are its main features.
- Most powerful handheld garment steamer available, it’s 3X more powerful than most other hand held steamers
- 600 watt heating element contributes to a quick time to steam of less than 2 minutes
- Simple to operate and ideal for college dorm life
- Its large 8 ounce reservoir uses plain tap water and gives the ESTEAM a long steam time of 15 minutes per fill
- Durable high-impact plastic outer housing
- UL Certified, cUL Certified
- Made in USA
- Compact dimensions of 3 x 5 x 10-1/2 inches
- Works great on tough wrinkles
- Very durable
- Fast heat-up time
- Large reservoir
- Utilitarian look
- Despite claims, should use distilled water
- No on/off switch
Jiffy ESTEAM Personal Handheld Travel Steamer Video
Back To College Clothes Steamer Comparison Chart
|Feature||265 watts of powerful, continuous steam softens and straightens wrinkles on clothing, drapes, upholstery and more|
60 ml water capacity provides over 10 minutes of continuous steam
Compact and stylish, the perfect travel companion
Automatic voltage adjustment feature fit for world travel
2-in-1 handle and measuring cup; 6.5 ft. power cord length
|800-watt fabric steamer provides 12 minutes of continuous steam|
More effective and gentler on fabric than ironing; 7-ounce water capacity
Removes wrinkles and odors from clothes, linens, curtains, upholstery, and more
Includes a fabric brush, lint remover, and rubber accessory housing
Measures approximately 7 by 9 by 4 inches
|600 watt heating element (120 volt for North America use only)|
High-impact plastic outer housing for durability
Quick one minute heat-up time
15 Minute steam time per filling
Made in the USA
|Height||7.4 inch||4 inch||11 inch|
|Weight||1.2 pound||1 pound||3 pounds|
|Width||3.2 inch||9 inch||6.5 inch|
|Length||5.3 inch||7 inch||5 inch|
|Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Link||More Info||More Info||More Info|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of Jul 24 14:11:03 UTC but are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on the merchant site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these handheld steamers? Which garment steamer are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our steamer post! We sincerely hope that it has provided you valuable information that helps you purchase your student’s back to college clothes steamer!