Which steam mop is the best steam mop for you?
The concept of using steam to clean and sanitize has been around for a long time. The technique has been revitalized around the world because of steam’s ability to clean and sanitize without harsh, environmentally harmful chemicals. Steam with its 212 degree heat quickly breaks the bond between dirt and any surface allowing grime to be whisked away.
The benefits of a steam mop have made them increasingly popular. Steam mops clean and sanitize in one step while eliminating harsh chemicals that can harm your family or pets. They also kill odor-causing bacteria on all surfaces leaving your home clean and deodorized. A steam mop saves you money by removing the needs for expensive cleaning solutions or disposable wipes.
This article will review 5 of the top steam mops to save you the time and trouble of researching yourself. Take a look and see if one of these great mops is the best steam mop for you!
Best Steam Mop: Top 5 Steam Mops
The HAAN SI-70 is a great multi-purpose steam mop and cleaner that can handle most steaming tasks around your home. It’s a little more expensive than some mops but, the quality and flexiblity of this HAAN is more than worth the price. Also remember that this steam mop does more than just floors with its removable handheld steamer with a number of handy cleaning attachments. Take a look at all of its features:
- The SI-70 has machine-powered steam pumps to provide a powerful steam flow to clean and sanitize tough floors.
- Newly integrated Micom circuit heaters provide a fast steam build-up time of only 20 seconds. In seconds after filling and plugging in, you can be steam cleaning and sanitizing.
- The HAAN SI-70 is one of the best looking steam mops on the market. It compliments any home with its sleek red and grey exterior and beautiful lines.
- 15 steam jets in the SI-70’s steam head provide even steaming across a wide steaming path.
- Use the SI-70 to clean and sanitize sealed hard flooring surfaces like tile, laminate, hardwood, vinyl, stone, marble. It will break down tough stuck-on messes or everyday mopping and dusting.
- Use the SI-70’s built-in handheld steamer to sanitize and refresh soft surfaces like furniture, pillows, pet beds, drapes, and stuffed animals.
- The SI-70 uses ultra-microfiber pads that are 4 layers thick for streak-free performance, quick drying, and smooth easy cleaning.
- kills 99.9% of common household germs, bacteria and dust mites in a natural, safe, and environmentally friendly way without chemicals.
- Compact and lightweight, the SI-70 is easily transportable to any room in your house upstairs or down.
- A swivel head makes this mop easy to maneuver around furniture and other obstacles.
- Specialized attachments are included for the removable handheld steamer to make detailed work around faucets, around the toilet, stove top, and other tough to clean surfaces easier and faster.
- An extra-long 25 foot cord makes it easy to cover much more space without having to replug.
- An easy-fill, removable water tank allows you to quickly fill or refill with tap water and continue steaming.
- The SI-70 comes with an onboard removable handheld steamer and several attachments to give you both the steam cleaning power of a steam mop with the flexibility of a handheld steamer.
- A handy Carpet Glide attachments even makes it possible for you to use the SI-70 to clean, sanitize, and refresh your carpets.
- HAAN is known as one of the best manufacturers of household cleaning tools and the SI-70 is no exception. HAAN provides a 1 year limited warranty on its SI-70 steam mop.
- Attachments include a mini steam head, steam cleaning bonnet, angled nozzle, and a round nylon scrub brush
- Also included are 2 reusable Ultra-Microfiber cleaning pads, a Carpet Glide attachment, a floor protector resting mat, and a lime and scale remover.
- Versatility of removable steamer
- Leaves floor dry in seconds
- No floor streaks
- Easy to fill
- Cord is too short
- Mostly sanitizes
- May not get hot enough
- Some complaints of poor cleaning
Believe it or not, Bissell is still a family-owned company and they have been dedicated to helping families keep their home clean since 1876. They are mostly known for their vacuum cleaners but, in recent years have captured a large part of the steam mop market with their impressive line of steam mops.
Like other steam mops, the Bissel Steam Mop Hard-Floor Cleaner uses the power of steam to clean rather than expensive, harsh chemicals. And because it uses steam, it doesn’t leave behind a lot of water but, rather your floor will dry in just seconds. Just take a look at some of its features:
- The Bissel 1867-7 is a powerful machine with 1500 watts of power for a strong steam flow and quick time to steam of only 30 seconds.
- It takes only 15 seconds of steaming over any particular area of your floor to sanitize the area in addition to cleaning it.
- The 1867-7 has a relatively long steam time of 15 minutes between reservoir refills with no log in steam between fill-ups.
- The mop dispenses steam only as needed by pressing its trigger while you pass the mop over the floor.
- A low-profile, 360-degree, swivel mop head makes it easy to reach those hard-to-reach places under kitchen cabinets and in corners.
- Its compact profile allows you to store it out of the way in smaller spaces.
- It has a quick-release cord release to help you get started faster and an comfortable, ergonomic handle that makes steaming a breeze and carrying much easier.
- A relatively wide 9-inch cleaning path makes quick work of any floor.
- A relatively long 18 foot power cord will help you reach most cleaning areas of a room.
- An easy-fill reservoir makes it easy to fill and refill the steam mop directly from your tap.
- This steam mop is compact at only 6 x 11 x 45 ½ inches for easy portability and storage and weighs less than 7 pounds for easy maneuverability and transport.
- The built-in water filter protects the unit from the minerals and impurities found in hard water prolonging its service life. The unit is also equipped with a handy indicator to tell you when it’s time to replace the filter.
- The Bissell 1867-7 has reusuable microfiberpads that are safe on all sealed hard surfaces and are durable enough to wash over and over again in the wash.
- Bissell provides a generous 1-year limited warranty with their steam mops.
- The Bissell 1867-7 doesn’t use any chemicals so it is environmentally friendly and safe to use around your family and pets.
- Eliminating 99.9% of germs and bacteria during steaming, when used a directed, the Bissell 1867-7 is healthier for your family.
Included with the unit are 2 microfiber mop pads with Microban.
- Uses nothing but water. No chemicals, no expensive solutions.
- Cleans ceramic tile and bamboo floor quickly and effectively.
- Easy clean-up
- Compact and easy to store
- Very quiet operation
- Cord is too short forcing the use of an extension cord
- Steam mop is too short for tall users. Wish it had an extendable handle.
- A little more effort is required to push than some mops.
I’m sure you’ve seen the commercials on TV for the Oreck XL featuring David Oreck, the founder. David is an Air Force war veteran and an avid aviation enthusiast. He saw an opportunity to make a better product and the Oreck line of vacuums was born. All the hype aside, they continue to make great vacuums and now they make great steam mops. In particular the Oreck Steam-It is very popular with homeowners around the world for its capability and performance. Take a look at its great features:
- The Oreck Steam-It has 1400 watts of power which produces a steady, strong steam flow and allows it to begin producing steam in less than a minute.
- It has a long steam time of 40 minutes from a full water tank on high steam setting.
- The Oreck Steam-It has a unique vapor chamber making it easy to clean above the floor without spilling.
- Oreck has produced a steam mop that creates a high-temperature, low-moisture dry steam that quickly removes dirt and deep cleans virtually any hard floor surface.
- It has adjustable steam settings for great performance on any surface.
- All surfaces hard surfaces are dry within seconds and soft surfaces are dry within minutes leaving no damp mess.
- This unit actually works upside-down without spillage for safe and confident above-the-floor cleaning.
- Fingertip controls make this steam mop very easy to use.
- A long 25 foot electric cord makes it easier to steam large floor areas without the need for an extension cord or replugging.
- The Oreck Steam-It has a very wide 11 ½ inch cleaning path to help you get your cleaning done faster.
- It can be used on most flooring surfaces including including marble, ceramic, stone, vinyl, linoleum and sealed hardwood floors.
- In addition to floors, the Oreck Steam-It also cleans windows spot-free, cleans kitchen and bath fixtures, tile and grout, helps remove stains from furniture and car upholstery, and even freshens pillows and mattresses.
- The Oreck Steam-It comes with a universal cleaning clip which allows you to use household towels in place of the microfiber pads.
- The included microfiber pads are machine washable and reusable saving you money on replacement pads.
- Oreck provides a 1-year limited warranty on the Steam-It.
- To sanitize any particular hard floor areas, just focus the steam on high while mopping for at least 5 seconds.
- The Oreck Steam-It comes with a 4-piece attachment set including a utility tool for above floor cleaning, a nozzle brush for crevices, a spot brush for grout stains, and a squeegee for windows and mirrors.
- Great on grout
- Convenient cleaning clip to use household towels
- Lightweight and compact
- Quick and easy to use
- Hard to push across the floor
- Bulky for other than completely horizontal surfaces
- Pricier than many steam mops
Bissell continues to earn accolades for its great line of steam mops. We have two Bissell steam mop models in this top 5. The Bissell Powerfresh 1940 is another great steam mop from Bissell with a built-in Easy Scrubber and variable digital steam control. Take a look at all the great features:
- Shine your floors while you clean up sticky dried on messes faster than many steam mops.
- The exclusive built-in Easy Scrubber makes quick work of tough spots and even grout.
- A SmartSet digital, variable steam control (low, medium, and high) allows you to customize your steam power for different floor surfaces producing better performance without a damp mess.
- Included Spring Breeze fragrance discs add scent to your cleaning for a noticeably fresher smelling home.
- Scrubby microfiber mop pads make cleaning and shining your floors easier and faster.
- A wide 12 ½ inch cleaning path helps you clean even large areas faster.
- A 15 ounce water reservoir give you plenty of steam time between refills.
- A handy carpet glide allows you to freshen and deodorize you carpets.
- Its light weight and compact size enhance its maneuverability and portability.
- A long 23-foot power cord insures long steaming without an extension cord or having to replug.
- A swivel mop head helps this steam mop maneuver around obstacles and fit into tough-to-reach areas.
- Bissell provides a 2-Year limited warranty on this model.
- The Bissell Powerfresh eliminates 99.9% of germs and bacteria through the power of steam when used as directed.
- Easy to handle and effective
- Integrated pull-down brush is handy
- Highly maneuverable
- Easy to clean and store
- Needs adjustable handle
- Water tank difficult to remove from mop
- Can Leave the floor with streaky appearance
- Swivel joint at mop head
- Steam is always on
Part of Hoover’s new family of TwinTank steam cleaners, the Hoover TwinTank WH20200 is our pick for best steam mop. Hoover brand steam mops are designed to clean and freshen your whole home while removing tough stains and grime. Hoover TwinTank models use a unique adjustable twin tank system which allows you to use steam alone or Hoover SteamPlus cleaning solution. Take a look at all the great features of our #1 choice:
Best Steam Mop Performance
- TwinTank system gives you the control to choose a cleaning solution or pure steam as you desire for better cleaning effectiveness. Most steam mops depend on steam alone for cleaning and sometimes that isn’t enough. Hoover gives you the choice to use its 100% biodegradable cleaning solution to remove stains and messes that steam alone can’t remove.
- This Hoover steam mop can be used every day for cleaning or removing tough stains from all hard floors including laminate, tile, hardwood, engineered hardwood, vinyl, sealed stone, and more.
- A quick time-to-steam allows you to start your cleaning quicker than most steam mops.
- A wide 11 inch nozzle makes quick work of any large area.
- A 16 oz water tank gives you a full 20-25 minutes of steam time making it possible to complete many steam sessions without refill.
- Fingertip controls make the Hoover TwinTank very easy to control and operate.
- An on-demand steam trigger let’s you control when steam is released as opposed to the continuous steam of most steam mops.
- The TwinTank has a very long 30-foot power cord (longest in this review) to give you the flexibility to plug-in where you want and to steam longer without an extension cord or replugging.
- A solution control dial gives you complete control over how much solution you use for cleaning allowing you to tailor the amount of solution to each individual cleaning task.
- Both twin tanks are easily removable for faster refilling.
- A triangular swivel head makes it easier to maneuver the mop to clean hard-to-reach areas like baseboards and corners.
- An ergonomically-designed, comfortable soft-touch grip keeps allows your hands to go longer without tiring.
- A rotating, quick-release, cord holder gets your started faster and wrap up easier.
- There are indicator lights to let you know when steam is available and the steam mop is ready to use and to indicate power on
- A handy water level indicator keeps you informed on how much water remains in the reservoir for steaming.
- The Hoover TwinTank has an on/off switch for positive control over steaming.
- An included Carpet Glider give you the flexibility to freshen rugs and carpet in addition to cleaning hard surfaces.
- Hoover includes a 2-Year limited warranty with this model.
- The Hoover TwinTank disinfects and kills or removes greater than 99.99% of harmful bacteria when used as directed with steam alone including MRSA, Staph, and Salmonella.
- With the Hoover TwinTank you get an 8-oz. Bottle of Hoover® 2X SteamPlus™ Cleaning Solution, 3 microfiber triangle pads, a cooling tray to protect floors during cooling and storage, and a carpet glider for rugs and carpets, and a fill cup.
- Lightweight and compact
- Easy to use
- Gets floors amazingly clean
- Optional steam or cleaning solution
- Long 30 foot cord
- Steam control button can get tiresome during long sessions
- Cleaning solution is expensive
- Hard to push around
- Cooling pad required before storing
- Can take a long time for steam build-up
Hoover TwinTank Steam Mop Video
Best Steam Mop Comparison Chart
|Title||Hoover TwinTank Disinfecting Steam Mop - WH20200||BISSELL Powerfresh Steam Mop, White, 1940||Oreck Steam-It||Bissell Steam Mop Hard-Floor Cleaner, Green Tea, 1867-7||HAAN SI-70 Multi Multiple Purpose Floor Steamer|
|Feature||Disinfects and Kills 99.9% of Harmful Bacteria|
Two-tank system lets you clean with steam alone or with Hoover Multi-Purpose Disinfectant solution
Clean control dial quickly adjusts for light or heavy cleaning
Power indicator light
Clean every area of your home: carpet glide to refresh carpets, swivel triangle head for easy maneuvering and to clean hard to reach areas
|Easy Scrubber flips down and reaches down to the grout and crevices.|
SmartSet Steam Control for light cleaning to heavy messes.
Spring Breeze fragrance discs insert in the mop pad for a fresh, clean scent while you steam mop.
Removable water tank you can easily fill at the sink.
Low-profile mop head cleans into corners and edges.
|Produces approximately 40 minutes of steam (on high setting) on a full tank. Can sanitize hard floor surfaces by focusing steam while mopping for at least 5 seconds.|
Chemical-Free cleaning. Great for tile and grout. Cleans using only tap water. Works upside down without spillage. High temperature dry steam melts away dirt and grime.
As an option for the customer, the Steam-It includes a universal cleaning clip which allows the customer to use household towels
Includes 4 attachments
Adjustable steam settings for optimal cleaning on multiple surfaces
|Upright electric mop cleans hard-floor surfaces using steam only|
Provides an all-natural deep clean without chemicals, fumes, or residues
360-degree swivel mop head cleans hard-to-reach places
Includes two washable and reusable microfiber mop pads, an internal water filter, and quick-release cord wrap
Measures 6 by 11 by 45-1/4 inches; 1-year limited warranty
|Removable handheld steamer with versatile cleaning attachments|
Swivel head for easy maneuvering
Carpet Glide attachment sanitizes and refreshes carpet
Easy-fill removable water tank
|Height||30 inch||28.6 inch||45.5 inch||42.25 inch||47.2 inch|
|Weight||6 pound||9 pound||9 pound||11 pound|
|Width||6.5 inch||7.1 inch||4.6 inch||11 inch||12.9 inch|
|Length||15 inch||11.6 inch||10.3 inch||6 inch||7.1 inch|
|Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Link||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of Jul 27 4:52:43 UTC but are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on the merchant site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
For more great information on home steamers don’t forget to check out our steamer articles Clothes Steamer: Top 4 Home Clothes Steamers For 2013, Handheld Steamer: 4 Most Popular Travel Steamers, and Best Clothes Steamer: 12 Travel Steamer Smart Buying Tips.
I would love to get your opinion of this article or hear your steam mop story. Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
I hope this article has provided the information you need to choose your steam mop. I think you can see that the Hoover TwinTank Disinfecting Steam Mop may be the best steam mop for you.