Sofa Cleaning: Super Steam Clean Sofas, Upholstery, Mattresses
When it comes to sofa cleaning, upholstery cleaning, or mattress cleaning, nothing beats a steam cleaner. Cleaning couches and other upholstery should be an integral part of your house cleaning regimen. Home steam cleaners come in different type depending on your needs including handheld steam cleaners, garment steamers, and canister steam cleaners. For sofa cleaning or other upholstery cleaning you would normally choose a handheld or canister, but some garment steamers are often the first choice for many users. They can be used very effectively for sofa cleaning by freshening the fabric. The only problem we have with them is that they are one-trick ponies. They only do garments and fabrics. If you want to clean the rest of your house, you need a separate appliance. If you buy the right home steam cleaner, you can do all of your cleaning and steaming using one steam cleaner.
Looking for a great fabric steamer? Be sure and see our articles about the best available:
A steam cleaner heats water to steam and directs it through its nozzle and on to surfaces to clean, disinfect against germs and allergens, and freshen. The combination of hot moisture and steam tools can break up tough stains and dirt better and faster than cleaners and hand rubbing. Using a steam cleaner regularly for sofa cleaning, mattress cleaning or other upholstery cleaning has the potential to make a world of difference in your home environment.
There is a lot of interest in handheld steam cleaners, mostly because of infomercials and other advertising, but they have drawbacks that need to be mentioned:
- Short power cords provide only a short cleaning radius and more frequent outlet replugging
- Small water reservoirs lead to short steam times between refills
- Water is heavy and even though the reservoir are small handheld steamers can be tough on the wrists over time
- Lower power of handheld steamers produces less powerful steam flows and less effective steam cleaning
Decided on a canister steamer? Read about some of the best:
Portable Steam Cleaner: Top Rated Canister Steam Cleaner
Canister Steam Cleaners
Canister steam cleaners are bulkier and more expensive, but it turns out that they are worth the extra money. Some of their more important advantages include:
- More power means better cleaning steam flow, better disinfecting, and a faster time-to-steam
- Flexible attachments allow you to clean a variety of surfaces from floor to ceiling
- Large reservoir means longer steam times between refills
- Long power cord gives you a larger cleaning radius making replugs fewer and farther between
- No water is stored in the wand, so it is much more lightweight, maneuverable, and less prone to producing fatigue
Sofa Cleaning Steps
Whichever steam cleaner you choose, the steps for cleaning couches and sofas, mattresses, or other upholstery are the same:
- Vacuum Upholstery: Make sure that you vacuum the dirt and dust from all the hidden cracks of your sofa. The dirt and dust particles could make a mess and could make the steam cleaner less effective.
- Pre-Treatment: You may want to use an upholstery cleaner to lighten any strong stains that might have developed in the sofa furniture or the mattress. Let the cleanser set in for about 3-5 minutes. Then use a soft piece of cloth to remove the stain. Some products have emulsifiers that can treat deep-down stains better and make them easier to remove.
- Buy Steam Cleaner: You may already have a steam cleaner, but in case you don’t here is our recommendation. Your choice is between a home fabric steamer and a home canister steamer. We don’t recommend handheld steamers except for quick cleaning in the kitchen. Fabric steamers will do a good job on upholstery, drapes, and mattresses, but they can be difficult to move around since most have a hanger tree. Canister vacuums are very maneuverable, easy to store, and provide much more powerful steam to clean a variety of surfaces beyond just upholstery.
- Prepare Steam Cleaner: For preparing a cleaner, you need to put in water and cleaner inside the machine. You add the water to the reservoir first up to the fill line. Then add the steam cleanser directly to the water reservoir and attach the reservoir to the machine. Many machines have a second “dirty water” tank that also needs to be attached but empty.
- Tool: Depending on your choice of steam cleaner it may come with an upholstery attachment. Use the upholstery attachment to brush the sofa to make it easier to clean more deeply. You may need to go over the sofa more than once depending how heavily soiled it.
- Clean Cushions: Your sofa cushions get the brunt of the workout and so are usually much dirtier than other parts of the sofa. Clean all sides of each cushion and set them aside while to clean the rest of the sofa.
- Clean Sofa: It’s important not to steam too long in a single area of the sofa to prevent soaking and long drying times. Go over the entire couch with the steam cleaner according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Take your time to get a good deep clean without getting the couch too wet.
- Let It Dry: After a thorough steam cleaning all that remains is to allow the couch to dry and clean up the steam cleaner. Wait to replace the cushions until they are as dry as possible. A hairdryer can be used to speed the process if you desire.
- Repeat: Now you can repeat the process with your other upholstery, mattresses, or drapes for a whole house clean.
Sofa Cleaning Steam Cleaner Comparison Chart
|Title||McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner||Xtech Electric Easy Handheld Steam Cleaner with 6 Different Attachments and 3 Additional Accessories||McCulloch MC1385 Deluxe Canister Steam System||Steamfast 1500-Watt Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner||Handheld Multi-purpose Pressurized Steam Cleaner for stain removal, curtains, crevasses, bed bug control, car seats and more||Vapamore MR-75 Amico Hand Held Steam Cleaner With Lifetime Warranty|
|Feature||Heavy-duty steam cleaner with 1500 watts of steaming power|
Requires no chemicals; 50-ounce water-tank capacity; steam-control switch
Removes stains, grease, and grime from cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats
Storage compartment for 10 included accessories; 12-foot power cord; caster wheels
Measures 17-1/2 by 11-3/7 by 9-1/4 inches
|No more aches and panes and backbreaking labor during cleaning|
Powerful Steam Cleaner that emits 1050 watts and Can Steam continuously for up to 15-20 minutes
Removes Dirt, Grease, Grime, Stains & Bacteria from Floors, Doors, Windows, Clothes, Plumbing Fixtures and more...
DISINFECT (kills germs) and clean with just ordinary tap water: no need to use chemicals, or detergents
Includes: Long Spray Nozzle, Bent Spray Nozzle, Spray Nozzle with Bristle Brush, Flexible Extension Hose, Window Washing Squeegee, Door/Window/Clothing Attachment, Terrycloth Cover, Measuring Cup, & Funnel
|On-demand variable steam control with 4 bar (58 psi) pressure to blast away dirt and grime|
Naturally deep cleans and sanitizes without the use of harsh chemicals
Large 64 oz. water tank heats up in 12 minutes and provides up to 120 minutes of continuous steam
23 versatile accessories including floor mop attachment for use on sealed flooring surfaces
Extra-long 18-foot power cord with integrated corp wrap and on-board storage to conveniently store accessories. Shipping within the US only
|Cleans naturally - steam deep cleans and sanitizes with no harsh chemicals|
Complete cleaning solution; A wide variety of useful attachments to handle nearly any cleaning task in your home
Professional-grade power; 1500 watts, 45 minutes of continuous, high-pressure steam
Steam-on-demand trigger with continuous steam locking switch
Steam mop attachments and microfiber pads - effectively and safely cleans and sanitizes all sealed flooring surfaces, including wood, tile and laminate
|All-natural 100 percent chemical free deep cleaning with this multi-purpose handheld steamer; removes grime, grease, mold, stains indoor and outdoor; works well in kitchen, bathroom, closet, patio, garage and vehicles, even can work as a steamer to remove wrinkles from garments|
Emits pressurized powerful hot steam continuously for up to 15-20 minutes; cleans and sanitizes a variety of surfaces, including, carpets, counters, floors, fabrics and vehicles
Easy use; lightweight and handheld with 9.5 feet power cord for easy mobility
Includes 9 accessories: Flexible extension hose, Long spray nozzle, Door/window nozzle, Door/window nozzle plate, Bent spray nozzle, Round brush nozzle, Funnel, Measuring cup and Towel sleeve
Holds 8 ounces of water; 2-3 minute warm-up time
|Hand Held Portable Steam Cleaner|
Removes Dirt, Grease, Grime and Stains
Cleans & Sanitizes Chemical Free
Kill Bed Bugs, Germs, Dust Mites, Allergens
|Warranty||1 year limited warranty||1 year limited warranty||1 year warranty through steamfast||Lifetime Warranty|
|Height||12.6 inch||9.25 inch||19.05 inch||12 inch||9.25 inch||11 inch|
|Weight||15 pound||3.28 pound||13 pound||8.42 pound||3.28 pound|
|Width||13 inch||5.59 inch||13.35 inch||9.5 inch||5.59 inch||7 inch|
|Length||20.08 inch||9.92 inch||13.1 inch||15.4 inch||9.92 inch||6 inch|
|Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Link||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of Oct 15 15:43:58 UTC but are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on the merchant site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
Did these step help you? Which steam cleaner are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
There you have it, all you need to know about sofa and upholstery cleaning with a steam cleaner! We sincerely hope that it has given you valuable information that helps you properly perform your sofa cleaning!