When it comes to cleaning hardwood floors, the key is damp mopping, but not wet mopping. When it comes to the best hardwood floor cleaner, it should only get your hardwood floors damp, but not wet.
Steam mops are a great invention for cleaning hard floor surfaces including sealed wood. Not all floor cleaners are good for hardwood floors. Ones that get your floor wet and then vacuums the water off the floor may be too risky for wood floors. As much as possible you want to avoid getting water on your floors.
Let’s face it, getting down on your hands and knees to clean your floors is one of the last things on your list to do. That’s probably why we don’t clean our floors as often as we should. It’s just not a pleasant task. The problem is that hardwood floors need to be cleaned more than other floors to prevent a build-up of dirt and grime that will scratch and damage them.
Professionals don’t actually recommend using a steam mop to clean hardwood floors. Mostly that’s because steam mops that put down water and then vacuum it up put too much water on your floors and those that use steam may apply too much heat. The reality is that steam mops have improved over the years and there are some that are recommended for sealed hardwood floors.
What would the professionals recommend? They would recommend putting in some elbow grease and using a product like the BonaKemi WM710013348 Hardwood-Floor Spray Mop which uses Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner. Bona products are known for being safe for hardwood floors and not leaving dulling residue.
What floor cleaner would they recommend if they were going to use a steam mop? First, use one that doesn’t put down water and has variable steam control to reduce the risk of overheating your hardwood floors. Do they even make those? The answer is a resounding yes and this article takes a look at a very popular example.
We’re talking of course about the BISSELL Powerfresh Steam Mop model 1940. Read on and see if this is really the best hardwood floor cleaner.
BISSELL Powerfresh Steam Mop
The BISSELL Powerfresh Steam Mop has two features that make it great for hardwood floors. First of all this BISSELL steam mop uses steam and doesn’t put a lot of water on your floor. Second, it has a variable steam control so that you can reduce steam power in order to reduce the heat risk to hardwood floors.
Note: We always recommend that you test any steam mop on an inconspicuous area of the floor to be sure the steam mop won’t damage your floor.
The BISSELL Powerfresh Steam Mop has plenty of great features that make it the best all-around choice to clean all your hard floor surfaces.
Best Hardwood Floor Cleaner: Features
- SmartSet variable, digital steam control lets you decide how much steam power to use on different floor surfaces
- Removable water tank can be easily filled at your sink
- With proper technique, this steam mop can eliminate 99.9% of germs and bacteria without the use of chemicals that may be harmful to your family and pets.
- Power through tough, dirtier spots on the floor using the handy, built-in flip-down Easy Scrubber
- Low-profile steam mop head easily cleans in corners and next to baseboards
- This model comes with fragrance discs that will leave your home smelling clean
- 2-Year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship
- Unit comes with one soft, microfiber mop pad, one scrubby microfiber mop pad, two Spring Breeze fragrance discs
- Fast steam build-up
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Durable pads
- Variable steam control a great feature
- Could use bigger water bottle
- Some complaints that water isn’t hot enough
- No on/off switch
- Power cord could be longer
Best Hardwood Floor Cleaner
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this BISSELL? Which floor cleaner are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading! We sincerely hope that we have provided you with valuable information that can help you choose the best hardwood floor cleaner for your needs!