You understand the benefits of steam and you want to find the best steam mop for cleaning your hard floors. Steam has been used to clean and sanitize for a long time. The technique has been revitalized around the world because of a renewed interest in steam’s ability to clean and sanitize without the use of harsh, environmentally harmful chemicals. The best steam mop, with its hot moist steam, quickly breaks the bond between dirt and any surface allowing grime to be whisked away.
Steam mops clean and sanitize in one step using only water while eliminating harsh chemicals that can harm your family or pets. The best steam mop, when used properly, can also kill odor-causing bacteria on all hard floor surfaces leaving your home clean and deodorized. The best steam mop saves you money by removing the need for expensive cleaning solutions or disposable wipes.
What should you look for in the best steam mop?
A powerful steam mop creates steam faster and has a more powerful steam flow that delivers dirt-busting power to your floors. A more powerful steam flow also does a better job of sanitizing than a less powerful steam mop when used properly. You can expect the best steam mop to generate 1400 watts of power or more
Interested in learning about other high-quality steam mops. Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- BISSELL Steamer: Best New BISSELL PowerFresh Steam Mop
- BISSELL Hard Floor Cleaner: New Powerful Corded All-in-One Multi-Surface Cleaner
- Floor Steam Cleaner: Best Indoor-Outdoor Multi-Surface Steam Mop
- Floor Steamers: Best New Combo Vacuum and Steam Mop
- Best Hardwood Floor Cleaner: Top Steam Mop
- Steam Mop for Laminate Floors: Hit Dirt Hard Without Damage
- BISSELL 1940 Powerfresh Steam Mop
- HAAN SI-25 Swift Sanitizing Pressurized Steam Mop
- Black & Decker BDH1720SM SmartSelect Steam Mop
- Shark MV2010 Vac-Then-Steam Steam Mop and Vacuum
- Shark Lift-Away S3901 Professional Steam Pocket Mop
- Shark S3601 Professional Steam Pocket Mop
- Shark S3101 Electric Steam Mop by Euro-Pro
- Shark Floor Steamer: Shark’s New Steam and Spray Mop
- Shark Steam Mop: Best Selling New Steam Mop
- HAAN Steam Mop: Best HAAN Steam Mop
- Shark Steam Mop Reviews: 4 Best Shark Steam Mops
- Steam Mop Reviews: 5 Great Steam Mops Under $100
A larger capacity water reservoir provides a longer steam duration which means more cleaning between refills. A powerful steam mop with a more powerful steam flow uses more water.
Manufacturers would have you believe that simply running the best steam mop over your hard floor surfaces will sanitize them. In truth, steam mops can kill some germs instantly, but not all, and killing germs takes time. In other words, you will need to give the steam time to work by moving the steam mop much more slowly over your floors than you might think is reasonable. When used properly, hovering over each area for 20 seconds, it is possible to kill 99.9% of germs and bacteria, but it won’t happen instantly.
A wide cleaning path means you can steam more floor space faster. Be careful though. Make sure that the steam mop you choose distributes steam to the entire mop head. Steam mop heads have holes or jets in them where the steam exits to clean your floor. The best steam mop with more steam jets will more evenly apply steam to your floor for better cleaning results. A wider steam head gives you a wider cleaning path and will reduce the time it takes for your floor cleaning tasks. Your cleaning path is only as wide as the distribution of steam in the mop head.
Most steam mops use steam mop pads attached to the head to help loosen and capture dirt and sticky messes. By itself, a steam mop pad is typically not a good scrubber, so if the mess is a tough stuck-on mess, the steam mop will probably have a difficult time removing it. Most mops come with accessories for scrubbing and some even have a built-in scrubber just for tough messes.
Water reservoirs come in all shapes, sizes, and designs. A large reservoir gives you the flexibility to clean longer between refills saving time. Tanks can be removable so you can carry them to your sink and some models have fixed reservoirs that you have to fill at the steam mop by bringing water from your sink. Which is best? That’s up to your personal preference. The convenience of removing the tank has the advantage of not having to carry water across your home, while a fixed tank may be larger.
If you prefer, some models of BISSELL steamer have the ability to accept scent discs. These small discs are inserted into the built-in scent disc holder where they can be used to provide a burst of freshness while steaming.
Combination Steam Mops
Some steam mops come with built-in above-floor steam cleaners so you can tackle all your household cleaning tasks without having to have multiple machines. These steam mops can save you time by allowing you to use the same machine to clean both your floors and your above-floor surfaces.
Specialized attachments such as grout brushes can make it easier to clean a wider variety of cleaning challenges in your home.
A long warranty means the manufacturer has faith in their materials and workmanship. Look for the longest warranty on the type of steam mop your considering. The best steam mop will have a long warranty.
We searched cleaning forums, manufacturer sites, social media, consumer sites, retail sites, and customer review sites to find the most popular and highly rated steam mops.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these capable models is the best steam mop for your needs!
Perhaps you’ve seen David Oreck on TV promoting the Oreck XL. He’s an Air Force war veteran and an aviation enthusiast who saw an opportunity to make a better product. All these years later, Oreck continues to make great vacuums and has added a capable steam mop to their product line. The Oreck Steam-It is very popular with homeowners around the world for its capability and performance. With 1400-watts of power, a large reservoir, adjustable steam settings, and easy fingertip controls, this steam mop has all the features you want in the best steam mop.
Best Steam Mop: Features
- With 1400 watts of power, you can expect a steady, strong steam flow of high-temperature, low-moisture dry steam and a fast time to steam of less than a minute
- Its large reservoir delivers a long steam time of 40 minutes from a full water tank on high steam setting
- A unique vapor chamber making it easy to clean above the floor without spilling
- Adjustable steam settings deliver great performance on any hard floor surface
- Hard surfaces are dry within seconds and soft surfaces are dry within minutes leaving no damp mess
- Capable of working upside-down without spillage, use it safely with confidence for above-the-floor cleaning
- Easy-to-use, handy fingertip controls
- Long 25-foot electric cord gives you the flexibility to steam larger floor areas without switching outlets
- A wide 11-½ inch cleaning path helps you clean large areas faster
- Designed for use on most flooring surfaces including marble, ceramic, stone, vinyl, linoleum and sealed hardwood floors
- Clean windows spot-free, kitchen and bath fixtures, tile and grout, remove stains from furniture and car upholstery and even freshens pillows and mattresses
- A universal cleaning clip allows you to use household towels in place of the microfiber pads if desired
- Machine washable, removable, and reusable microfiber pads save money on replacement pads
- To sanitize any particular hard floor areas, just focus the steam on high while mopping for at least 5 seconds
- 1-year limited warranty
- 1 – Utility tool for above floor cleaning
- 1 – Nozzle brush for crevices
- 1 – Spot brush for grout stains
- 1 – Squeegee for windows and mirrors.
- Great on grout
- Convenient cleaning clip to use household towels
- Lightweight and compact
- Quick and easy to use
- Hard to push across the floor
- Bulky for other than completely horizontal surfaces
- Pricier than many steam mops
With an easy-to-fill water reservoir design and integrated SpotBOOST Scrub Brush, the new BISSELL PowerFresh Deluxe Steam Mop is perfect for cleaning and sanitizing all sealed floors, vinyl floors, and bare floors, without the use of harsh chemical cleaners. It features a new easy-fill water reservoir design, a new integrated SpotBOOST Scrub Brush, and built-in Scent Disc holder. Using only the natural cleaning power of steam it cleans and sanitizes your floors quickly and easily, eliminating 99.9 percent of germs bacteria when used according to directions. Use its handy, unique, on-board SpotBOOST brush to scrub away tough, sticky messes without having to resort to separate tools and tailor steam precisely to your cleaning tasks using the variable steam control with high and low settings. The included Spring Breeze scent discs will leave your room smelling as clean as your floors.
- Powerful 1500-watt hard surface BISSELL steam mop produces powerful steam flow and a fast time to steam of only 30 seconds
- Uses only the natural power of steam to clean and sanitize your floors quickly and easily while eliminating 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria when used properly
- Its variable steam control gives you high and low settings that allow you to tailor steam flow to your cleaning tasks
- A built-in SpotBOOST Scrub Brush lets you scrub away tough, sticky messes without additional tools
- Built-in scent disk holder accepts Spring Breeze scent discs that will leave your room smelling as clean as your floors or you can insert scent discs directly into the pad for a more intense burst of freshness
- Large 19 oz. easy-fill water reservoir means more cleaning between refills and includes a handy measuring cup
- The heater ready light informs you when the steam mop is ready to clean
- Move it easily around your home or from level to level using the built-in carrying handle
- The user-friendly design makes it eash to clean hard-to-reach messes in corners and crevices for a more complete clean
- Microfiber pads are removable and reusable
- Wide 12-inch cleaning path allows you to handle large cleaning tasks faster
- Long 25-foot power cord gives you a large cleaning radius and reduces the requirement to switch outlets
- Lightweight at only 6.9 lbs. full of water
- 2-Year limited warranty
- Easy to use
- Fast time to steam
- Sturdy construction and materials
- Large steam head
- None noted
Steam cleaning leaves hard surfaces cleaner than a traditional mop which just moves dirty water around your floor. Featuring Intelligent Steam Control Technology, swivel steering, and quick-release cleaning heads, the Shark S3601D Professional Steam Pocket Mop is perfectly equipped to tackle all of your tough hard floor surface cleaning tasks on laminate, bamboo, hardwood, marble, tile, stone, and more. The simple flip head gives you twice the cleaning area using two-sided Steam Pockets and the included multiple heads lets you clean effectively even in corners. You even get a carpet glider that freshens and grooms carpets and rugs
- The Shark S3601 Professional Steam Pocket Mop’s Intelligent Steam Control gives you the flexibility of three steam settings so you can choose the ideal setting for your specific cleaning needs including Dust, Mop, and Scrub
- You have the choice of more steam for tougher cleaning jobs, medium for everyday cleaning, and light for dusting or on more delicate surfaces
- Leaves your floors clean and sanitized while your floor dries in seconds
- You get two Quick-Release cleaning heads including a rectangle head for general cleaning and a triangle head for hard to reach places like corners.
- Handy carpet glider freshens and grooms your carpet and rugs
- The S3601’s swivel steering makes it highly maneuverable around furniture and other parts of your home obstacle course
- The unique two-sided Steam Pocket gives you twice as much cleaning area with the simple flip of the steam head
- Flexible enough to be used on laminate, bamboo, hardwood, marble, tile, and stone floors in addition to carpet and rugs (with included Carpet Glider)
- Extra-long 30-Foot power cord frees you to clean a much wider area of your house without replugging
- Uses the power of super-heated steam to eliminate 99.9% of germs and bacteria including e-coli, staph, salmonella, and 99.9% of the virus that causes H1N1
- 3 – Quick release mop heads
- 1 – Rectangle steam pocket plus triangle steam pocket for corners and hard to reach places
- 4 – Premium microfiber pads
- 1 – Carpet glider
- Easy to use
- Heats up quickly
- Floors left clean and not sticky
- Heads too delicate
- No steam trigger
- Water tank window too small
Very popular and highly rated, the O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop features a fast time to steam, effective cleaning of a variety of hard floor surfaces, and removable, washable, and reusable microfiber cleaning pads. The triangle shaped head makes it easy to clean in hard to reach areas like corners and its lightweight design swivels and glides across your floor and is easy to carry from room to room or level to level of your home. Tough microfiber pads are machine washable up to 25 times saving you money on replacement pads and adjustable steam settings give you the flexibility to safely and effectively clean any of your hard floor surfaces.
- Fast time to steam of only 20 seconds
- Adjustable steam settings allow you to tailor steam flow to your cleaning task
- Triangle steam mop head is designed to get into corners and other hard to reach areas
- On/Off switch gives you control over the steam production
- Continuous steam flow while switched on, this unit needs no pumping
- Lightweight design glides and swivels easily across your hard floor surfaces
- Removable, washable (up to 25 times), reusable microfibers pads absorb dirt, dust, and bacteria while cleaning your floors without chemicals
- Kills 99.9% of bacteria on floors without cleaning chemicals when used according to directions
- Snap-on carpet gliders refresh carpets
- An approximately 19-foot long power cord is shorter than some
- Wide 12-inch steam mop head delivers a wide cleaning path that means faster cleaning of large areas and shorter cleaning times
- 2 – Microfiber cleaning pads
- Good value
- Made in the USA
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Triangle-shaped head fits neatly into corners
- Must turn upside down to empty excess water
- No water level indicator
- Relatively short power cord
- Cord hook doesn’t swivel
One of the most popular steam mops available and receiving our vote as the best steam mop, the BISSELL Powerfresh 1940 features a built-in Easy Scrubber for tough messes and variable digital steam control that lets you tailor steam flow to safely clean and sanitize a variety of hard floor surfaces. One of the most powerful steam mops in our list, it delivers 1500 watts of power for faster times to steam and a steady, continuous steam flow.
- Powerful 1500 watts means faster times to steam and a steady, strong steam flow that cleans faster and more effectively
- Fast time to steam of only 30 seconds
- Shine your floors while you clean up sticky dried on messes faster than many steam mops
- Eliminates 99.9% of germs and bacteria through the power of steam when used as directed
- Exclusive Easy Scrubber makes quick work of tough spots and even grout
- The SmartSet digital, variable steam control (low, medium, and high) gives you the flexibility to customize the steam output to each floor surface delivering better performance without a damp mess
- Spring Breeze fragrance discs add scent to your cleaning for a noticeably fresher smelling home
- Scrubby microfiber mop pads make cleaning and shining your floors easier and faster
- Wide 12-½ inch cleaning path helps you clean even large areas faster and more effectively
- A 15-ounce water reservoir gives you plenty of steam time between refills
- Handy carpet glider allows you to freshen and deodorize your carpets
- Lightweight and compact, it’s highly maneuverable and portable
- Long 23-foot power cord ensures large area steaming between outlet switches
- A swivel mop head helps this steam mop maneuver around obstacles and fit into tough-to-reach areas
- 2-Year limited warranty
- Easy to handle and effective
- Integrated pull-down brush is handy
- Highly maneuverable
- Easy to clean and store
- Needs adjustable handle
- Water tank difficult to remove from mop
- Can Leave the floor with streaky appearance
- Swivel joint at mop head
- Steam is always on
Best Steam Mop
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these popular, highly-rated steam mops? Which steam mop are you planning to buy?
Please share if you think others will benefit!
Steam mops are a great way to clean and sanitize hard floor surfaces with only water and without the need for harsh chemicals. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best steam mop for your needs!