When it comes to cheap carpet cleaners, cheap these days means less than $200. There are very few models of cheap carpet cleaners that are less than $200, but we found some good ones that have the performance and features to make them a great value.
Of course by cheap carpet cleaners we know you mean carpet cleaners that are a good value. The goal is to spend less money, but get the features and the carpet cleaning performance you expect. We don’t want cheaply made carpet cleaners or carpet cleaners made with cheap materials.
Looking for other carpet cleaner choices? Be sure to see our articles about some of the best:
- Carpet Spot Cleaner Machine: Best New Portable Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner
- Commercial Carpet Cleaner: CRI Certified Self-Contained Carpet Extractor
- BISSELL Rug Shampooer: New BISSELL 2-in-1 Pet Carpet Cleaner
- Auto Carpet Shampooer: Most Powerful Professional Portable Car Carpet Cleaner
- Shampooer: Top Rated Lift-Off Pet Full-Sized Carpet Cleaner
- BISSELL PowerSteamer PowerBrush: Popular Value BISSELL Deep Carpet Cleaner
- Steam Vac: Top 5 Best Rated Carpet Cleaners
- Best Home Carpet Cleaner: Top Rated Best Cleaning Carpet Washer
- Sofa Cleaning: Super Steam Clean Sofas, Upholstery, Mattresses
- BISSELL Power Steamer: Top Rated Home Carpet Steam Cleaner
- Home Carpet Cleaner: Best 2-in-1 Carpet Cleaner
- BISSELL Double Tank Carpet Cleaner: Got Pets? No Worries!
- Hoover Steam Vac: New Power Path Carpet Washer
- Hoover MaxExtract Dual V Deep Clean Carpet Cleaner
- Hoover MaxExtract All-Terrain Carpet Cleaner
- Hoover MaxExtract 77 Multi-Surface Pro Carpet/Hard Floor Cleaner
With that in mind, what kinds of features should you look for in cheap carpet cleaners with the performance you need?
No matter what a carpet cleaner looks like, no matter how much it costs, it’s most important feature is performance. You can expect that most cheap carpet cleaners will have less performance because one way to save money is to include a less powerful motor. Another way is to eliminate the brush roll or beater bar that agitates the carpet for better deep cleaning.
Make sure that the cheap carpet cleaners you’re considering have the performance you need including a brush roll or beater bar to loosen deeply embedded dirt.
If you will need to carry your new carpet cleaner up and down stairs between levels of your home, then your carpet cleaner’s weight will be important to you. It’s no fun to drag a heavy rug cleaner up and down stairs. Before long, you will dread cleaning, may neglect cleaning your carpets as often as you should, and your carpets will suffer. If you have stairs, pay attention to the weight of any cheap carpet cleaners you are considering.
Clean and Dirty Water Tanks
Common wisdom would say that a carpet shampooer should be designed with separate clean and dirty water tanks. After all, you don’t want to put dirty water back into your carpet. That’s the way Hoover has designed their carpet cleaners.
On the other hand, BISSELL has chosen to use a single tank with a bladder that separates the clean water from the dirty water. In truth, both designs work fine, so despite the logic, it’s a personal preference which design you choose.
One of the problems with a carpet cleaner is that it puts water into your carpet that must be removed through suction. If you buy one of the cheap carpet cleaners with less powerful suction, you may find that your carpets take a long time to dry.
Models with more powerful motors and corresponding better suction remove more water from the carpet so that it dries faster. If you want to pay the extra money, some models even come with forced heated air that can reduce drying time.
It’s reasonable to expect home carpet cleaners to come with tools that help you deal with stairs and upholstery, but when you’re talking about cheap carpet cleaners, they may not be included. If you need your cleaner to handle stairs and upholstery, make sure your model has the capability to use tools even if you have to buy them separately.
We searched manufacturer sites, cleaning forums, consumer sites, retail sites, social media, and customer review sites to find the most popular and best rated carpet cleaners under $200.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these cheap carpet cleaners is the best carpet cleaner for your needs!
One of the most popular Hoover carpet cleaners of all time, the Hoover F5914900 SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Cleaner Machine, is not only a great value, it has many high-performance features that combine to clean carpets as good as some much higher priced models. It features patented spin brushes that scrub your carpet’s fibers on all sides to gently loosen deep down dirt, heated cleaning, two-speed brush control, clean surge for heavy traffic areas, a two tank system that separates clean and dirty water, and completely beltless operation. It may be one of the cheap carpet cleaners, but you would never be able to tell from its feature list and performance. Why go through the hassle of renting or enduring the painful upsell process of most professional carpet cleaning services when you can have your own carpet cleaner to use as often as you like?
Cheap Carpet Cleaners: Features
- Powerful 12-amp motor
- Patented, removable, multi-directional spin scrub brushes clean all sides of carpet fibers to loosen dirt more effectively
- Fingertip controlled clean surge provides the power to clean spots and heavy traffic areas
- Heated cleaning directly applies heat to the floor where it’s needed most
- Two-speed brush control for normal or gentle cleaning
- Spin scrub powered hand tool easily cleans upholstery, stairs, and spots
- Easy-to-fill two-tank system keeps clean water solution and dirty water separate
- No belts to change, break or replace
- Long 8-foot stretch hose provides extended reach
- Tool mode stops spinning brushes
- Includes 16 oz. Hoover deep cleansing detergent
- 1-Year warranty
- Easy to use
- Separate clean and dirty water tanks
- Easy to fill and empty
- Assembly challenging for some
- Some complaints of short power cord
- Foam seal around water tank is poor quality
- Several complaints about cheap plastic parts breaking easily
lf you have pets, the budget-minded Bissell 17N4P DeepClean Professional Pet Carpet Cleaner may be the perfect choice for you. It features 12 rows of dual rotating PowerBrushes that combine with BISSELL’s DeepClean Premier Pet and BISSELL 2X Pet Stain and Odor Cleaning Formula to remove pet messes, stains, and odors more effectively while helping to prevent repeat offenses. This model is designed specifically to clean all of those muddy paw prints, shedding hair, and outside dirt that your pets track into the house keeping your carpets cleaner and looking newer longer. Heatwave Technology helps maintain constant water temperature throughout the cleaning process. Additional cleaning features include EdgeSweep brushes that clean against baseboards and Surround Suction that helps dry carpets faster.
- Powerful 7-amp motor
- Included BISSELL® DeepClean Premier® Pet and BISSELL® 2X Pet Stain & Odor Cleaning Formula remove pet odors and help prevent pets from repeat offenses
- 12 rows of dual rotating Powerbrushes
- EdgeSweep® brushes clean against baseboards more effectively
- Surround Suction® helps dry surfaces fast
- Large 1.25-gallon water tank capacity keeps you cleaning longer
- Pet hair collection basket and specialized pet tools
- Wide 12-inch cleaning path means you will get your cleaning tasks done faster
- Heatwave Technology® helps maintain constant water temperature throughout the cleaning process
- Long 22-foot power cord and 9-foot stretch hose give you a larger cleaning area and make it easier to tackle stairs and upholstery
- Handy built-in carry handle
- Includes trial size bottles of 2X Pet Stain & Odor Formula
- Weighs 24.4 lbs.
- 3-Year limited warranty
- 1 – 6-inch stair tool
- 1 – Strain Trapper tool
- 1 – Deep Reach pet tool
- 1 – 3-inch Tough Stain tool
- Great for pet messes
- Great value
- Easy to fill and empty
- Awkward mount for brush tool
- Small capacity water tank
- Some complaints about how heavy it is
- Complaints about single bladder system reservoir
Another capable member of the cheap carpet cleaners club, the BISSELL 1622 PowerLifter PowerBrush Upright Deep Cleaner forces a warm cleaning mixture deep into your carpet to blast out dirt and grime as built-in PowerLifter PowerBrushes help root out deeply embedded dirt. At the same time, powerful suction immediately pulls out the dirt and liquid leaving your carpet cleaner and drier. Portable, lightweight, and easy to use with its deep cleaning action, this model helps prevent permanent damage that ground-in dirt can cause to carpet fibers. It uses just hot tap water, deep-cleaning detergent, and its four-row rotating DirtLifter PowerBrushes to leave your carpets clean, odor-free, even gently groomed for a polished look.
- Powerful 12-amp full-size upright carpet deep cleaner
- Rotating stiff bristle PowerLifter PowerBrushes have four cleaning rows that loosen deep-down dirt and stains more effectively
- Two-in-one water-tank system features a heavy-duty bladder inside for clean water, which empties and mixes with the cleaning formula during operation and separates the clean water from the dirty water that gets pulled out of the carpets
- Convenience touches include a comfortable handle, quick-release cord hooks, a lint screen, easy-to-maneuver wheels, as well as a built-in measuring cup and a removable nozzle for quick clean up
Wide cleaning path covers more ground in less time
- Long 20-foot power cord reduces outlet switching and saves time
- Includes 2X Deep Clean & Protect Machine Formula, Stain Pretreat Formula, and Power Shot Oxy
- Dimensions are 19 x 11 x 44 inches
- 1-Year limited warranty
- Great value
- Easy to fill and empty
- Easy to maneuver
- No hoses or tools
- Does not have a heater to keep water warm
- Water capacity is small
Another capable budget carpet cleaner from BISSELL, the Bissell 47A23 ProHeat 2x Premier Full-Size Carpet Cleaner in Blue features 10 rows of DirtLifter Powerbrushes, powerful Surround Suction, and Heatwave Technology that delivers constant heat to help maintain the water temperature throughout your cleaning tasks. Together this model’s cleaning technologies provide professional-style results you can do yourself without paying a professional cleaning service. Pair the ProHeat 2X Premier with BISSELL Professional Deep Cleaning formula to get the best clean and protect your carpet from future stains with ScotchGard Protector.
- 10 rows of dual-rotating Dirtlifter Powerbrushes loosen and remove deep, ground-in dirt from your carpets
- Full-width Surround Suction dries carpet faster
- Patented Heatwave Technology delivers two sources of constant heat that helps maintain the water temperature throughout your cleaning tasks
- Large 1.25-gallon capacity 2-in-1 tank means fewer trips to the sing to fill and empty the tank
- Wide 12-inch cleaning path reduces cleaning time
- Long 22-foot power cord reduces outlets switching and saves time
- 3-Year warranty
1 – 3-inch tough stain tool
1 – 8-oz. 2X BISSELL Cleaning Formula
- Easy-to-change single tank
- Easy to use
- Handy, effective upholstery hose
- A little heavy to maneuver
- Water doesn’t stay warm
- Difficult to get dirty water out of the tank
- Bulky tank will not sit flat on a counter
Vacuuming isn’t enough to keep carpets clean and protect them from the damaging effects of dirt and grit. A powerful carpet washer removes more dirt than vacuuming alone prolonging the life of your carpet and keeping it looking new longer. The Hoover FH50150 Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer is one of the most popular cheap carpet cleaners and features Hoover’s patented SpinScrub multiple brush cleaning system, automatic detergent mixing, separate fluid tanks, forced air drying, lightweight design, and rinse capability. All of these great features combine to deliver fast, easy, and effective carpet, upholstery, and stair cleaning.
- Hoover’s exclusive SpinScrub multiple counter-rotating, removable brush cleaning system with 360- degree cleaning that surrounds carpet fibers
- Dual-tank system uses separate 1-gallon clean water/solution tank and spill-free dirty water recovery tank
- No-tool emptying and filling is quick, easy, and mess-free with Hoover’s Smart Tank system
- Integrated rinse capability rinses carpets to remove the most soap residue
- Detergent is automatically mixed insuring the optimal cleaning solution mix every time you clean
- Forced-air heated drying means drier carpets faster
- Wide 11.25-inch Dual V Nozzle provides more efficient cleaning edge-to-edge
- 4 easy-to-access handles for portability
- 8-foot accessory hose for upholstery and stairs
- Long 20-foot power cord reduces outlet switching
- Lightweight design weighs only 18.1 lbs.
- 2-Year limited warranty
- 1 – SpinScrub powered hand tool
- 1 – Stair tool
- 1 – Upholstery tool
- 1 – Crevice tool
- 1 – 16 oz. Clean Plus 2X Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner
- 1 – Mesh tool storage bag
- Easy to clean
- Great value
- Does not heat water
- Some complaints of noisy operation
- Small reservoir
Cheap Carpet Cleaners: Comparison
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these top-rated budget carpet washers? Which carpet cleaner are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
Do you really need to spend $300 to get a decent carpet cleaner? Cheap carpet cleaners aren’t exactly cheap. Good ones still cost over $100, but if you can find a high-quality model under $200, that’s a good value. We sincerely hope that we have provided you with valuable information about these cheap carpet cleaners under $200 that helps you find the model that best meets your needs!