I’ve written about steam cleaners, but they were for home users who just wanted a more durable steamer. Most home floor steamers don’t even really use steam or use so little steam that you have to move them slowly to clean effectively and leave them in the same spot long enough to disinfect. That’s not the case with a commercial floor steamer. Some even use pressurized steam that cleans at temperatures approaching 325 degrees F. That’s the kind of cleaning and disinfecting power you need on the toughest commercial jobs and the kind only available from a commercial floor steamer.
We recommend the following related articles:
- McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
- Reliable Corporation EB250 Enviromate Brio Steam Cleaner
- Steamfast SF-275 Canister Home Steam Cleaner
- Vapamore MR-100 PRIMO Steam Cleaning System
- Hoover TwinTank WH20300 Canister Steam Cleaner
- Steam Cleaner Reviews: Top 5 All-Purpose Steam Cleaners
- Top 5 All-Purpose Steam Cleaners
This article addresses the commercial floor steamer used by professionals. There are a lot of commercial vacuums on the market, but not nearly as many commercial floor steamers. This is because while vacuums are required everywhere, not every job requires the cleaning and disinfecting power of a commercial floor steamer.
What are some of the features that make a steam cleaner tough enough for commercial use?
Commercial floor steamers use pressurized, super-heated steam and that hot steam can be dangerous if you’re not careful. They also have pressurized boilers that could present a hazard if over-pressurized. With that in mind, quality commercial steamers come with safety features that minimize or eliminate some of the risks. Some safety features to look for include:
- Boiler pressure relief valve to prevent over-pressurization
- Safety filler cap
- Water reservoir low light and/or alarm
- Thermostat backup switch
The larger the water reservoir, the longer you can clean without refilling. You should look for the largest reservoir you can afford or a unit with continuous-fill so that you can refill during cleaning without having to shut down to refill. Larger reservoirs are usually greater than 60 ounces in size. If you need more than about 1.5 hours of steam, you should consider a larger reservoir in the 3-4 liter range (greater than 100 ounces) or automatic/continuous refilling (also known as continuous use) with a reservoir tank.
- Better heavy-duty commercial steamers have a double-boiler that consists of a cool tank for replenishing water and a superheated tank that produces the steam. Simply add cool water to the cool tank and the steamer will take water into the boiler as needed to replenish the steam.
- Some units have self-cleaning boilers that use vibration to loosen mineral build-up increasing efficiency and prolonging the boiler’s life.
- Inline heating for faster temperature build-up and higher efficiency
- Stainless steel boiler housing for long life
- Continuous refill allows you to refill during the steaming process for near non-stop cleaning.
- Bottom drain for easy boiler cleaning
- Replaceable heating elements allows you to replace them rather than having to buy a whole new boiler or machine when the elements become corroded and unusable.
- Pressurized steam is produced by pressurized boilers that allow temperatures to build much higher than the boiling point of water. Higher pressures mean more powerful cleaning. The pressure of a steam cleaner is rated in bar where 1 bar = 14.5 PSI. Look for at least a 4 bar or 65 PSI or greater in a commercial floor steamer.
- Look for the highest temperature steam that you can afford. Higher temperature equals better, faster cleaning for commercial units.
- Adjustable steam volume that allows you to adjust steam volume for more delicate surfaces
- Better units have a trigger to control the steam produced by the steamer.
- How portable is the unit you’re considering? Larger units usually come with dollies for easy movement during steaming and to your vehicle. Smaller units should have handles for carrying between work areas and wheels for movement during steaming.
- For longer durability choose stainless steel metal housings and metal parts instead of plastic.
Hose and Cord Length
- The length of steamer power cords and hoses varies with the wind. The longer the cord, the less likely that you’re going to have to use heavy-duty extension cords to supply power during cleaning. Longer cords save time and money. Also, be careful when using an extension cord to comply with manufacturer recommendations to avoid damage or fire.
- The power cord goes from the wall to the unit. Hoses go from the unit to your cleaning area. The longer the hoses, the less you will feel tethered to the main unit while cleaning. More cleaning and less moving saves time and money.
- Like most cleaning machines, parts wear out. Make sure that the model you choose is from a reputable manufacturer with readily available parts. Some custom units made with custom parts may be more difficult to maintain down the road.
- Brushes and attachments don’t last forever and will result in additional expenses possibly beyond what you might be expecting. Check the cost of replacement brushes and attachments before you buy to reduce your overall cost.
- The best manufacturers provide a 3-year limited warranty or longer on the steamer and a lifetime warranty on the boiler.
- The anti-bacterial features of pressurized steam cleaners help in the removal of 99.99 percent of harmful bacteria that could otherwise cause deadly diseases
- HEPA filtration helps extract even the smallest dust particles from the air to reduce allergens.
- The wet vacuuming feature eliminates the need for towels by extracting moisture and substances while cleaning.
Beyond the superheated steam, the best floor steamers come with a wide selection of accessories to meet any commercial cleaning challenge including:
- Filler bottle
- Extension wands
- Window cleaner
- Triangle brushes
- Nylon brushes
- Floor brush
- Brass brushes
- Crevice tool
- Floor scrubber brush
- Towels if you’re not wet-vacuuming
Make sure the accessories are durable so that they last as long as possible without replacement.
Note: Commercial floor steamers use superheated steam to clean and disinfect. They are typically not appropriate for home use due to the dangers associated with hot steam. We do not recommend using most commercial-grade, superheated steam floor steamers in homes. If you are planning to use a commercial, pressurized floor steamer for your home, we highly recommend training on using the device prior to first use.
Not everyone needs the power of a commercial floor steamer, but if you need that kind of power, this is the article for you.
We took a look at some of the most popular and best quality floor steamers available and picked the 5 we think deserve your consideration.
Take a look and see if one of these heavy-duty floor steamers is the perfect commercial floor steamer for you!
Whether it’s a restaurant, hotel, hospital, office, or even car-detailing, the US Steam ES1900 Premium comes with all the extra accessories you will need to tackle the toughest cleaning jobs. This is truly an all-purpose steamer with adjustable steam flow, stainless steel construction, built-in pressure gauge, and 4.5 bars of pressure. Take a look at its many features.
Commercial Floor Steamer: Safety
- Automatic shut-off when water tank is empty
- Pressure gauge
- Produces 1600 watts of power
- Operating pressure of 4.5 bars / 68 PSI
- Operating temperature of 316 degrees F with cleaning temperature of 185-245 degrees F
- Tank holds 3 liters of water
- Fingertip adjustable steam control features low, medium, and high setting to produce variable temperature from 200-245 degrees F.
- Cleaning path of 1-inch to 12-inches
- 12-foot heavy-duty hose is long enough to increase cleaning area without moving the unit
- Long 14-foot power cord
- A commercial-grade powder-coated cart with storage bucket and an accessory holder is included for easy movement around the job and quick access to accessories.
- Boiler is two-piece surgically welded stainless steel with a rating of 10,000 PSI
- Total stainless steel housing
- Hose is steel-cabled with industrial cover for heavy-duty commercial use
- Internal tubing is all copper with brass-threaded fittings for longer life and extra safety
- The unit weighs in at 20 lbs. dry and 25.5 lbs. while operating and measures 12D x 12W x 12H inches.
- Free 6-month extended warranty with Premium package to 18 months
- 120V/13.5 Amps
13 original plus 16 additional accessories in the Premium package including:
- 1 – Filler bottle
- 1 – Funnel
- 2 – 16-3/4 inch extension wands
- 1 – Window cleaner
- 1 – Single-hole nozzle
- 1 – 3-hole nozzle
- 1 – Large triangle brush w/clips
- 1 – 3-inch adjustable round nylon brush
- 1 – 3-inch adjustable triangle brush
- 3 – 1-inch nylon brushes
- 1 – Large floor brush w/clips
- 3 – 1-inch brass brushes
- 3 – Towels
- 1 – Accessory bag
- 12 – Heavy-duty terry towels
- 5 – Extra 1-inch nylon brushes
- 5 – Extra 1-inch brass brushes
- 3 – Extra 3-inch adjustable round nylon brushes
- 3 – Extra 3-inch adjustable triangle brushes
- 1 – Vapormate All-Purpose Cleaning Kit featuring a non-toxic, green cleaning solution for quick stain removal, odor removal, and degreasing.
- Extra accessories in premium package
- Durable construction
- Long warranty
- Does not have the “Burst of Hot Water” feature of the ES2100
If you’re looking for a vapor steamer that can put down 298 degrees F of steam to deep clean, sanitize, and deodorize at a price that is more affordable than many commercial steamers, then the Sargent Steam Cleaner Cleaning System might be right for you. With no fumes to worry about, this steamer is capable of killing dust mites, viruses, and molds easily. Here is what you need to know.
- With its 1450 watts of power, this unit is capable of producing 250 degrees F steam at the tip at about 52 PSI.
- This model uses fume-free, vapor steaming which deep cleans, sanitizes, and deodorizes in one operation
- The stainless steel, non-stick 2.2 quart water reservoir lasts for approximately 1.5 – 2 hours for a long continuous cleaning time and has a fast time-to-steam
- Detachable 8-foot steam hose is shorter than many other commercial steamers
- 20 Year life expectancy and 1-2 day turnaround on repairs from Salt Lake City, UT
- 120V/14.7 Amps
- Manufacturer provides a 1-Year warranty on defective parts and 3 years on the boiler and heating element
- This model weighs in at approximately 15 lbs. for the base
- 1 – Hose
- 1 – Floor Brush with Cover
- 1 – Diamond Brush
- 1 – Squeegee with 14 inch blade
- 2 – Extensions
- 1 – Steam Nozzle
- 1 – Filler Bottle
- 1 – 1 inch soft Brush
- 1 – 1 inch Stainless Brush
- 2 – 1 inch Stiff Brush
- 2 – 2 inch Soft Brush
- 2 – 2 inch Stiff Brush
- 1 – Scrub Bud
- 1 – Rectangle Cloth
- 1 – Diamond Fitted Cloth
- More affordable than many commercial floor steamers
- Vapor steam cleaning cleans, sanitizes, and deodorizes in one chemical-free step
- Easy to use
- Great attachments
- None noted
The Reliable Enviromate EV1 Tandem is both a powerful steam cleaner and vacuum in one giving you the flexibility to both steam a variety of surfaces and then extract steam residue or vacuum the task area. Designed for the toughest cleaning jobs, the EV1’s steam deodorizes and sanitizes while it cleans. Great for carpets, the EV1’s pressurized steam and vacuum power penetrate deep into carpet fibers to lift dirt away. The EV1 has many great features.
- The EV1 has both a light and sound warning for low water level
- The EV1 has 1700 watts of power and twin heating elements that provide a fast time-to-steam of only 5 minutes and produce 302-320 degrees F boiler temperature and 245 degrees F at the tip.
- Refillable 1.8 liter water tank with CSS Technology allows you to refill on the go without having to wait for cool-down
- You will have plenty of steam pressure with 5 bar or 72.5 PSI during operation for fabric care, carpet care, hard floor care, or any other steaming and vacuuming task.
- Adjustable steam pressure allows you to tailor steam temperature to the surface your cleaning
- Using a combination of heat, pressurized steam, and powerful suction, the EV1 Tandem penetrates deep into carpet fibers to clean and lift away dirt.
- A built-in HEPA filter traps fine particles such as pollen and dust mites while it cleans.
- Removable and portable dirty water tank makes cleanup easy and fast and works as a water filtration system in vacuum-only mode
- Short 7.2-foot steam hose is shorter than most commercial steamers
- Relatively long 16.4-foot power cord should keep you from having to replug as often
- An 18/10 stainless steel boiler tank has the durability to provide a lifetime of operation
- The EV1 has an Electromagnetic Mineral Crystallization Chamber (EMC2) powerful magnetically charged filter that converts the molecular structure of larger minerals found in tap water (calcium) into smaller “crystallized” molecules to reduce hard water build-up.
- Reliable provides a lifetime guarantee on the EV1’s pressurized steam boiler tank and a 1-year limited warranty on the entire unit.
- Solid construction, excellent performance
- Great selection of attachments
- Nice safety features
- Leaves no residue on floors
- Too pricey for residential use
- Some complaints about steam pressure
This is a professional-grade steam cleaner designed for the most challenging commercial tasks like hospitals, schools, hotels, and restaurants. With 1750 watts of power and 6 bar pressure, the Reliable EnviroMate EP1000 Pro is ready to steam deodorize and sanitize with just the cleaning power of steam. Check out some of this Reliable steam cleaner’s features.
- Built-in pressure gauge keeps you informed
- High-pressure safety valve
- Red low water control light alerts you to low-water situations
- With 1750 watts of power and 6 bar pressure (87 PSI), this unit is capable of generating steam tank temperatures up to 303.8 degrees F and cleaning tip temperatures of up to 250 degrees F. Also, look for fast steam buildup times of around 10 minutes.
- Its dual-tank design has a 2.6 liter boiler tank and a separate 3.1 liter water tank.
- Built-in main electrical panel contains the ready steam light, low water control light, two steam regulation lights, a hot water injection light, and the pressure gauge.
- The EnviroMate EP1000 Pro has a lifted body for more efficient air-flow under the unit reducing internal temperatures.
- With its CSS Technology, the EP1000 Pro allows you to continually fill the water tank without having to stop for a cool-down period.
- Its EMC2 Technology softens water effectively to reduce hard-water buildup and prevent residue on cleaned surfaces.
- Hot water injection is controlled directly from the handle for mixed steam/hot water rinsing applications.
- This unit has an average power cord length of approximately 15-1/2 feet and a relatively short steam hose of 9.6 feet (2.95m).
- The EP1000 Pro has an 18/10 stainless steel tank for long life.
- Reliable provides a 1-year whole-unit limited warranty on the EP1000 Pro and a Lifetime Boiler Tank warranty.
- The EP1000 Pro can be operated on either 110 or 120V electrical.
- The EP1000 Pro weighs in at 23 lbs. dry and measures 19 x 14.5 x 14 inches.
- 1 – Rectangular floor brush
- 1 – Triangular polyester brush
- 1 – 25 cm window squeegee
- 1 – Upholstery scraper
- 1 – Funnel
- 1 – 30 mm small poly brush
- 1 – 38 mm small poly brush
- 2 – Extension pipes
- 1 – Nozzle with brass tip
- 1 – Triangular brush pad
- 1 – Drain opener key
- 1 – Rectangular brush pad
- 1 – Towel
- 1 – Aluminum nozzle
- High pressure and heat provides extra cleaning power
- Dual-tank design adds to safety and efficiency
- Many handy attachments
- No attachment storage on unit
- Can lose pressure at higher pressure settings
- Optional trolley may be warranted
A heavy-duty trolley is available as an option for attachment storage which also has onboard direct water feed of an additional 5 liters.
Flagship of the Vapamore steam cleaners, the MR-1000 Forza Commercial Steam Cleaning System is the best of the best in professional, commercial-grade steam cleaners. Vapamore paid special attention to performance, durability, and value when designing and building the MR-1000 Forza so that it gives you the performance and durability you need at a competitive price that will surprise you. With its combination of commercial grade construction, continuous flow design, computer-controlled operation, and 90 psi steam output pressure, you have everything you need to tackle the toughest steam cleaning jobs in the industry. Take a look a all of its many features.
- With 1700 watts of power and 6 bar (90 PSI) steam output pressure, the Vapamore MR-1000 Forza is capable of producing 320 degrees F (160C) boiler steam temperature and 270-280 degrees F steam temperature at the cleaning tip.
- The MR-1000 Forza also produces quick steam buildup times around 9 minutes and a powerful steam flow of 40 gal/min.
- Full 1.1 gallon (4.2 liter) water capacity and 0.8 gallon (3 liter) boiler capacity
- All the power you need to handle hotels, restaurants, kitchens, offices, residential home care, auto shops, pest control and more
- Continuous flow means no downtime to wait for cool-down and refill
- Computer controlled for more accurate pressure and temperature
- Adjustable steam output lets you tailor the steam output to your task
- Unit comes with a long 25-foot power cord and relatively short 8-foot steam hose.
- Easy and secure twist-to-lock attachments
- On-board storage basket
- Commercial-grade steel construction
- Tough extra stainless-steel boiler
- Techflex® Braided Steam Hose
- Italian CEME® Brand Components
- 120V/60Hz power requirement
- 1700W/14 Amp heating element
- ETL Certified
- The MR-1000 Forza weighs in at 45 lbs. (20.4 kg.).
- The MR-1000 Forza carries Vapamore’s exclusive limited lifetime warranty.
- 1 – Steam Gun and Hose
- 1 – Accessory Tool Adapter
- 2 – Jet Nozzles
- 2 – Detail Scrapers
- 4 – Nylon Grout Brushes
- 4 – Med. Nylon brushes
- 4 – Large Nylon Brushes
- 4 – Small Brass Brushes
- 4 – Cotton Covers
- 2 – Extension Tubes
- 4 – Large Stainless Brushes
- 4 – Large Brass Brushes
- 4 – Micro Fiber Floor Pads
- 1 – Large Elbow Adapter
- 1 – Floor Head With Bristles
- 1 – Floor Head Smooth Surface
- 1 – Triangle Corner Brush
- 1 – Smooth Surface Squeegee
- 1 – Detail Jet Tool
- 1 – Bed Bug / Fabric Tool
- 1 – Accessory Storage Bag
- 1 – Funnel
- 1 – Water Bottle & Holder
- Heavy-duty contruction
- Very powerful
- Great set of attachments
- Easy to use
- Some complaints about durability of attachments
- Some flow problems reported
Commercial Floor Steamer
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these commercial steam cleaners? Which commercial steam cleaner are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading! I sincerely hope this article has given you valuable information that you can use when choosing the best commercial floor steamer for you!