When you need to handle a large volume of ironing where crisp creases and fast response times are important, a commercial steam iron is the tool for the job. The last thing you need, when ironing in a commercial environment, is inefficiency and unreliability. A high-quality commercial steam iron is designed with a large water reservoir so you don’t have to stop often to refill the reservoir and constructed from durable materials for a long, trouble-free operating life.
A commercial steam iron can take several different forms depending on the volume of work and personal preference. Our list includes steam iron stations and complete ironing systems that includes the ironing board. Either type is fully capable of tackling commercial ironing tasks.
What should you look for in a high-quality, commercial steam iron?
Steam pressure is often measured in bar or PSI for comparison. A professional or commercial steam iron should generate over 3.0 bar or approximately 44 psi for maximum steam penetration and wrinkle-removing power. Many models generate steam pressures up to 50 psi or approximately 3.5 bar.
You may find steam flow or steam volume also specified which is measured in gallons per minute and related to the steam pressure in that a stronger steam pressure produces a stronger steam flow. Many commercial steam irons generate steam volumes of over 120 gallons/min.
Also interested in professional garment pressing solutions? Be sure and see our other articles about some of the best!
- Commercial Garment Steamers: Top 5 Clothes Steamers
- Steam Press Iron: Top 5 Garment Steam Presses
- Steamers For Clothes: Hottest New Heavy-Duty Garment Steamer
Different fabrics have different temperature and steam requirements. A steam regulator lets you tailor the steam output to the particular fabric you are ironing.
Time to Steam
The amount of time it takes for the iron to reach its operating temperature is its heating time. Heating time affects how long it takes to start ironing the first task and how long it takes to return to ironing after refilling the reservoir. The shorter the time to steam, the faster you can start ironing in each case and the less downtime between during refills.
Larger reservoirs provide longer steam duration, but cause a longer time to steam.
Sole plates come in a variety of materials and designs. Common sole plate materials include polished stainless steel, aluminum, and metal with a non-stick coating.
Soleplates are where the iron meets fabric and are very important to the quality and efficiency of ironing. Smooth soleplates promote easy gliding over fabrics without snagging.
Steam is distributed to the fabric through holes in the iron’s soleplate. The more holes, the more even the distribution of steam and the better the results.
Vertical Steam Capability
Some models allow you to iron both vertically and horizontally. Their vertical steam mode is ideal for drapes and hanging garments.
For safety reasons, a commercial steam iron should shutoff automatically if it falls over on its side or is left on too long.
Other safety features include pressure switches, probe safety thermostats on the heating element, safety caps with safety pressure release valve, and low-water indicators.
Adjustable Steam Control
An essential part of every commercial steam iron is the ability to adjust its steam to the various fabrics being ironed. The proper steam flow can prevent damage from scorching caused by temperature too high for the fabric. A steam flow that is too low will not remove wrinkles as fast or as effectively.
Ironing produces excess steam which if allowed to build up can produce damp clothing and unwanted creases. Some models come with dual airflow technology that either inflates the ironing surface for better results with delicates or pulls steam through the board.
A steam burst feature allows the operator to apply additional steam to power out stubborn wrinkles and avoid damage from spending too much time in one location on the fabric.
Water reservoirs on commercial steam irons are usually large to hold as much water as possible. They are much larger than traditional irons which have small water tanks on the iron itself. The larger the reservoir, the longer the steam duration and time between refills. Steam durations of 90 minutes or better will provide more efficient operation.
The most efficient models have removable water reservoirs for easy refilling and are transparent or have a window that makes it easy to know when to refill.
Hard Water Buildup
All appliances that use water can have a problem with the buildup caused by hard water. Irons are particularly vulnerable due to the constrictive holes in the bottom of the iron that are easy to plug with buildup. In the worst case, it can make your professional steam iron useless because steam will not pass through the openings in the bottom of the iron or because the heating elements are so coated that the iron will no longer produce steam.
Some solutions are to use distilled water which doesn’t have the minerals in it that tap water does, use an additive in the water to reduce hard water buildup, choose a steam iron that has built-in technology to allow the use of tap water while reducing mineral buildup.
Keeping the cord out of the way of ironing can be a constant battle. Some ironing systems have built-in cord management to prevent this problem.
Some models have adjustable power cords to accommodate both left and right-handed users which can be useful in a commercial environment.
Irons also use a lot of power which means they need a heavy-duty power cord. Irons and ironing systems with an extra-long power cord will allow you to place the ironing machine exactly where you need it.
In a steam iron system there is a steam hose that runs from the reservoir to the steam iron to provide the steam.
We searched social media, forums, manufacturer sites, retail sites, consumer sites, and customer review sites to find the most popular and highly-rated steam iron systems available.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these professional ironing systems is the best steam iron for your needs!
The Delonghi Stiromeglio Compact PRO 300 Ironing System features a pressurized 1-liter boiler for long steam duration and professional 3.5 bar steam pressure. Its stainless steel upper and super alloy bottom double boiler saves you money by allowing you to use tap water without fear of mineral buildup. Its complete control panel has separate switches for boiler and iron, each with indicator lights, and a steam ready indicator light and steam regulator to adjust steam release for different fabrics. A vertical steam function gives you the capability to steam drapes and hanging garments. Here’s what you need to know.
Commercial Steam Iron: Features
- Compact, powerful, 900W, 3.5 bar, 70 g/min steam production, professional steam ironing system that accommodates a wide range of fabrics from delicates to cotton and linen using an adjustable thermostat and variable steam levels
- Complete control panel with separate boiler and iron switches with indicator lights that allow for ironing with steam and without, and a steam ready indicator light and steam regulator to adjust steam for different fabrics
- Heavy gauge satin-polished aluminum soleplate glides smoothly over fabrics without snagging and provides efficient, even heat distribution
- Safety features include anti-slip iron rest base and safety pressure-release reservoir cap
- Adjustable steam cord accommodates left and right-hand users
- Professional non-slip cork handle adapts for both left- and right-handed users
- Patented double boiler combines a stainless steel upper with a super alloy aluminum bottom so that inexpensive tap water can be used without mineral buildup or reduction of operational life
- Large 1-liter boiler provides a steam duration of approximately 1.5 hours for fewer downtimes for refilling and a time-to-steam of approximately 10 minutes
- Continuous steam lock button on handle and steam trigger reduce fatigue
- Vertical steaming mode gives you the capability to easily steam drapes and hanging garments
- 3-Year limited warranty
The only steam ironing system in our list with an ironing board, the German-engineered Leifheit Active L Steam Ironing System uses a removable water reservoir right on the ironing board to provide steam to the iron. Innovate reversible airflow technology be used to produce more powerful steam or to create an inflated surface for ironing delicates. Extraction technology draws off surplus steam to insure dry, crease-free fabrics. Here’s what you need to know.
- Pressurized steam ironing system with iron, ironing board, and attached water reservoir
- Unique, easy-access, removable water reservoir attaches directly to the end of the ironing board and uses a steam hose to provide variable, pressurized steam up to 50 psi at a rate of 0.13 lbs./min. to the iron
- Ironing board has a unique, reversible airflow technology that pulls steam through the board for more powerful steam and less slipping or can inflate the Super Glide cover creating an inflated surface perfect for ironing delicates without causing secondary wrinkling
- Ironing board’s 100% cotton Super Glide ironing surface over a 100% polyether foam pad is lightweight and durable while providing a smooth ironing surface
- Innovative extraction technology draws off surplus steam and ensures dry crease-free laundry
- Quick steam buildup time of only 8 minutes
The most popular choice of professionals, the Reliable 5000IS Professional Ironing Station is the value premier mid-size ironing station with 1800-watts of power, thoughtful features, ease-of-use, and high-quality construction and materials. It produces dry, pressurized steam that quickly and efficiently softens fabric so that the iron can create that crisp, clean finish you demand. Its large reservoir provides a long steam duration with powerful steam pressure for up to 8 hours per day. Safety is important with pressurized steam and it is up to the task including some great safety features like a pressure switch and pressure-release safety cap. Here’s what you need to know about this Reliable steam iron system.
- Powerful 1800W professional dry, pressurized steam ironing station with even heat distributing aluminum sole plate and built-in silicone iron rest
- Large 0.66-gallon (2.5L) water reservoir provides up to 4 hours of continuous steam at 50 psi (3.5 bar) operating pressure, is rated for up to 8 hours of use per day, and is ready to go in 10-15 minutes
- Safety features include pressure switch, probe safety thermostat on the heating element, safety cap with pressure release valve, and low water indicator
- Comfortable cork handle
- Built-in pressure gauge allows you to monitor boiler pressure
- Long 7-foot steam hose with quick connects allows operator to conveniently iron without interference from the hose
- Lightweight design is only 3.9 lbs.
- Use regular tap water without fear of mineral buildup
- Durable stainless steel tank and outer casing with copper heating element
- Handy carrying handle
- Heavy-duty wiring insures safe operation
- Water level stick makes it easy to know current reservoir level
- Made in Italy
- Lifetime warranty on boiler
- Made in Italy; Lifetime Warranty on boiler.
- Pressure gauge gives you a constant, visual indicator of the internal boiler pressure
- Thermostat reset system automatically shuts off the heating element when the water is low
- Lifetime product warranty on pressurized steam boiler tank
Rowenta is known for its irons and other capable steam products like garment steamers and the Rowenta DG8430 Pro Precision Steam Station is one of their most capable ironing products. Really a 2-in-1 steam ironing system, it is just as capable of ironing vertically as it is horizontally giving you the flexibility to iron a wider range of garments and fabrics. It features 1800 watts of power, a long steam duration, and a Microsteam Rowenta professional iron with a full 400-hole, scratch-resistant, stainless steel soleplate that delivers even steam for professional results. Its unique precision tip presses steam into tight areas which is perfect for collars, seams, and around buttons. The Calc-Away filter system removes impurities from the water so you can use regular tap water without fear of mineral buildup. Here’s what you need to know.
- Compact, powerful, 1800W, fast-heating commercial steam iron system
- Calc-Away filter system removes impurities from the water so you can use regular tap water without fear of mineral buildup
- Extra-large 33-oz. fill-anytime water tank provides up to 90 minutes of continuous steam and is ready to go in about 3 minutes
- Microsteam 400-hole scratch-resistant, stainless-steel soleplate delivers even steam distribution and smooth removal of stubborn wrinkles
- High-precision tip delivers steam to hard-to-reach areas like collars, along seams, and in-between buttons
- Vertical steam mode removes wrinkles from drapes, hanging garments and more
- Trigger-controlled, on-demand steam level is adjustable to accommodate the needs of different fabrics
- Water level window
- Long 6-foot steam hose and 12-foot power cord
With an innovative 2-speed blower, vacuum system-equipped active board, an integrated steam generator, and an iron with a 3D active soleplate, the Laurastar Model S7a Ironing System delivers a powerful, even, well-diffused, ultra-fine, steam flow that is adaptable to all fabrics, preserves fabrics and colors, and eliminates wrinkles in a single movement. It features an iron that automatically release steam with only the light movement of the handle for more efficient ironing and a patented opening and foldaway system that can be set up and stored away in an instant. Its vertical steam mode allows you to steam hanging garments and drapes. Here’s what you need to know.
- Powerful, 2200W, 3.5 bar steam pressure, patented quick foldaway ironing system with 6 height adjustments and built-in fan delivers double-volume extra fine steam
- Lightweight, ergonomic, iron uses a 3D active, protective soleplate to deliver the best in ironing quality in a single movement while protecting delicate fabrics
- Large 1.1-liter removable water tank provides a long steam duration and can be refilled without turning off the system
- Vertical steam function allows you to iron hanging clothing and drapes
- Auto-stop function automatically turns off the system after 15 minutes without use and the safety storage box allows you to store the iron while it’s still hot
- Integrated anti-scale filter prevents hard water mineral build-up from tap water
- System has a fast time-to-steam of only 3 minutes
- Includes a special insulating mat for warm iron, steam cord holder, and anti-scale water filter refill
The powerful 1800W Rowenta DG8520 Perfect Steam Eco Energy Steam Iron Station features the power you need and an eco-friendly Eco setting that reduces energy usage by 20% and saves you money. Its iron has a stainless steel soleplate with patented Microsteam400 for even steam distribution and smooth operation and a precision tip that makes it easier to iron collars and between buttons. The high-capacity removable tank delivers 90 minutes of steam at a volume of 120 g/min and the integrated Calc-Away system collections mineral particle allowing you to use tap water while reducing mineral buildup. Its polished stainless steel soleplate glides easily over fabrics and has patented Microsteam400 Technology that provides 400 micro-holes for perfect steam distribution. Here’s what you need to know.
- Powerful, 1800W, steam iron station with 5 bar pressure, 120 gallons/min steam volume, and Eco Energy Mode that reduces energy usage by 20%
- Durable, scratch-resistant, polished stainless steel soleplate glides easily over fabrics and has Microsteam400 Technology that provides 400 micro-holes for perfect steam distribution
- Iron’s high-precision profiled tip that easily irons narrow edges, seams, collars, between buttons, and into other hard-to-reach areas
Ready to go in about 2 minutes
- Large 47-oz., easy-fill, removable water tank delivers up to 90 minutes of continuous steam
- Calc-Away scale collector allows you to use tap water while reducing mineral buildup and insures the highest performance over the station’s useful life
- 1800-Watt Eco Energy Steam Iron Station Stainless Steel Soleplate, 400-Hole, Purple
- Integrated lock system provides easy, safe, single-handed transport
- Made in France
Another ironing system from Laurastar, the world leader in top-of-the-line ironing systems, the Laurastar Magic iS6 Ironing System features a comfortable, lightweight, ergonomic design and automatic steam release. Its automatic silent two-speed blower and vacuum provides cold, crease-free ironing a powerful constant steam pressure of 3.5 bar at volume of 200 liters of steam per minute. Its iron features ultra-light material construction and a slim profile for easy handling with less fatigue, even during vertical ironing. Patented CLiiCK Technology produces the perfect volume of steam based on the movement of your hand. Here’s what you need to know.
- Foldable, adjustable, six height level, commercial steam iron system that produces a constant 50 psi of steam pressure and delivers 211 quarts of steam volume per minutes
- An ergonomic active board with patented MAGiiC Technology uses a two-speed, silent blower/vacuum system that automatically engages as soon as you pick up the iron to create perfect pleats, prevent creases and seam marking, and immediately dry fabric
- Lightweight iron features ultra-light materials and a slim profile for easy handling, even during vertical ironing and has patented CLiiCK Technology that automatically releases the right amount of steam based on the movement of your hand
- Unique iron soleplate design is rounded for ironing in any direction without creasing, has a smooth base to eliminate wrinkles, and is wide to cool the fabric and fix fabric in place
- Additional included Softpressing Soleplate allows reduces the surface temperature of the iron without changing your settings so it won’t stick to or shine delicate or dark clothing
- Large, removable 1.2L tank provides a long steam duration between refills
- Ready for use in only 3 minutes
- Built-in scale filter allows the use of tap water without fear of mineral buildup
- Iron safety storage box can store the iron while still hot
- Two-pair of integrated wheels make the system highly mobile
- Protective, machine-washable Origami board cover is specifically designed for the active board
Commercial Steam Iron Comparison
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these professional ironing systems? Which commercial steam ironing system are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our SteamerCentral.com article! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the right commercial steam iron for your operation!